Saturday, October 8, 2011

My Roof Garden

The Garden I built on our Galvanized Roof 
My special bonding with plants started when I was in grade 6. The unpaved roads of my hometown were lined with evergreens laced with colorful flowers. On my way home, I would get a cutting of each variety per day. Planting those cuttings in  tin milk cans filled with soil readily lined on top of 4 old logs, formed into a square, was such a solemn ritual for me. My days were filled with expectations, eagerly looking forward to my rendezvous with my cuttings as they sprout into robust plantlets. Witnessing flower buds bloom into full glory amazed me no end: such phenomena of life made my supposed to be growing up pains pass unnoticed.

My 2 boys grew up with plants in every house we lived in, no matter how small the area was. When they were toddlers, my little garden was just a little nook at the landing of the stairs. 
After a series of house hunting, the decision which one to buy was sealed in by the mango tree, coconut tree and caimito tree in front of the lot. Without taming the luscious branches of my plants, my garden here became a little jungle.
The need to transfer residence came when my children needed more freedom as they entered college. With a house close to their campus, there was no more need to fetch them after their erratic college schedule. But being in the busy sector in the city, the only garden I could afford was a small plant box in front along property line. 
Front property line plant box
My husband suggested that the galvanized iron roof at the back be converted to concrete so I could still have my garden. However, no matter how much we stretch our budget, the idea would not really be feasible. So I just content myself with ferns and purple bells covering the concrete wall at the back. 
Nevertheless, my green thumbs got itchy so plants started to abound. Constantly bugged by reminders of rust formation on galvanized iron, I had to come up with strategies to appease my engineer husband but to no avail so I had to trim down the number of my plants to the choicest ones.

Then hubbie's uncontrolled diabetes took hold ending up into two bouts of basilar artery stroke. His erratically high blood sugar needed supplementary herb; and that we found in gynura procumbens
With the flourishing of gynura procumbens, we had to come up with the best approach to overcome the limitations of our galvanized roof. We bought a 4 feet by 8 feet, 4 inch thick styrofoam and laid it down over the galvanized iron, put pvc's under for ventilation...and presto, I had a platform on which to put my plastic planters. Two mosquito nets used to lay unused in our closet was dug and used as cover to protect the herbs from pests and harsh environmental elements.  
4 feet by 8 feet x 4 inches stryrofoam galvanized iron roof planter platform
With the success of the stratagem. I got bolder and aimed on growing trees along with other herbs. A podium was constructed for them. With the podium standing on concrete walls from below, we were assured that it could carry a ton without putting extra load on the roof.
Steel roof top plant and tree podium
So placed on it now are lemon grass, citronella grass, pandan, calamansi, dayap, american lemon and kafir lime
Actually I have already harvested their fruits
                                  Calamansi fruit                                        American Lemon fruit
On its side standing on the roof are camias, malunggay and lagundi. But of course not one of my planters touch the galvanized iron roof: they are sitting on either styrofoam, plastic pvc or bamboo sheets
On the other side along the concrete wall, I have a sampaloc tree beside orchids bracing the big trunk of another malunggay tree.
One dwarf coconut tree is planted along with a kalachuchi among others.
My herbs thriving well in this milleu with the trees and ornamental plants, beefing up the waning oxygen amid the smog and pollution of the city - what more can I ask for? 
Saga saga (Rosary bead or prayer bead)
                              Makahiya (Mimosa Pudica)                                   Oregano
              Damong Maria (Maiden Wort, Wormwood)                     Sabila (Aloe Vera)
                          Tangan tangan (Castor oil)                                Serpentina (Rauwolfia)
Sambong (Blumea Balsamifera), celery, parsley, cilantro (coriander) partly hidden at the right
Kutchay (Chinese chive)
                           Chocolate mint                     Pansitpansitan (Ulasiman Bato, Peperomia Pellucida)
                     Siling labuyo (Capsicum frutescens , Cayenne)                                         basil
                                 Long Coriander, celery                                    Italian oregano
                                   Citronella Grass                                               Lemon Grass
                       Wild Balete (Banyan tree)                                        Noni trees
And thinking that it will not add any extra burden on our roof, my green thumbs dipped into bonsai growing. Well, my balete tree and noni trees do not look like bonsai yet but I know they are on their way there.

You may also like

10 comments:

  1. Wow! What a garden! I like to know the effect of the Gynura on your hubby's diabetes? Was it controlled?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi MyMusing,
    Yes indeed, from the time he started taking it up to this time, his fasting blood sugar, 2 hour post prandial blood sugar and HBA1C are within normal range.There was a short time he tried neem tree tea upon prodding of a friend, his creatinine level increased beyond normal. He reverted back to gynura procumbens and his creatinine becomes normal again. That is what is good about gynura, it has no side effect...more importantly it has no negative effect on the liver and the kidneys....its components had been identified, researched and proven to be safely effective. But of course, he continues taking his prescribed medicines and doing his daily walking routine;insulin is never included again in his regimen though.

    I am also starting to take it...for its anti oxidant effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What i like about your garden is that you have functional plants. some gardens are just ornamental. With yours, you can actually get herbal medicines and ingredients right from your own backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patrick,
      Very functional indeed...while watering these plants, I would usually relish my herbs...especially the leaves of gynura procumbens. The serpentina has been helping my husband's hypertension lowering the dose of his antihypertensive drug.

      It is just needs more watering now because of the summer heat....but it is all worth it.

      Thank you for reading my blog.

      Delete
  4. Thumbs up for one great green thumb project. cheers and more planting always ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! NASA did a study of plants to test their ability to clean pollutants (benzene, toulene, formaldehyde, ammonia) from the air. You can search online for 'NASA Clean Air Study'. I don't see certain plants in your garden that NASA recommends (and are in my small garden). I think the study was done to see what plants might be useful in a space station for keeping the air clean.

    The plants NASA recommends that are most easily found in Manila are: Money plant or Golden pothos aka. Devil's Ivy (Epipremnum Aureum); Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum); Snake Plant aka Mother-in-law tongue (Sansevieria Laurentii and Zeylanica). There are others but these are the easiest ones to buy in Manila.

    The Pothos likes lots of light so I place the pots outside in the day and take them inside at night. My place is right beside Shaw Blvd so you can imagine how bad the air can get in this area.

    Thank you for the great info and personal account on Gynura Procumbens. I bought some in Greenhills, Mandaluyong about 10 days ago (P50 per pot with 3 stalks in each pot). Hopefully my hypertension will be more controlled now that I've hit 50 yrs.

    Salamat!
    Bob.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this post. Very informative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thumbs up for one great garden you got there. more power always ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aloha! I'm from Hawaii and love what you have done in creating a plant paradise. Your choices are extremely awesome.
    I've searched for ashitaba however I love the effects of Gynura Procumbens.
    Thank you (mahalo) for sharing your story! You and your ohana (family) shall be blessed all the days you live.
    Aloha,
    LaVerne Ayudan Corpuz

    ReplyDelete