Sunday, October 9, 2011

Propagating Gynura Procumbens

For the first Gynura Procumbens I bought from Mahogany Market in Tagaytay we shelled out 100 pesos. When Dannie came back he was able to buy 8 seedlings for 80 pesos each. Several weeks later when I told the seller that Gynura which they called ashitaba could be procured at 35 pesos in Cavite, we went home with 20 seedlings at 40 pesos each. We shared 7 seedlings to friends and relatives thus leaving us with 22 seedlings. With my husband and my mother taking 3 leaves a day, these seedlings would not last long.

I presumed just a click of my fingers would be enough to find the solution to this predicament. I found various sites in the internet promoting the plant but not one had a straightforward pointer on how to propagate it. 


So I experimented on a young stem of the seedling with leaves already nipped off. With the proximal end immersed in water, I observed its progress with much anticipation. The succeeding days were a cycle of ups and downs with the leaves vibrant and alive on the first two days, started to wilt on the third day then gradually sprang back to life later until the roots started to sprout. This slow process seemed to be tedious not only on my part but for the cutting as well. 
If it would take 8-10 weeks for my seedling to reach this growth stage, I wondered how long would it take for it to be able to serve its purpose. I had incubated 6 stems this way so we had just 16 seedlings left. Definitely I would run out of supply for my two patients.
On top of this, my husband kept on reminding me that the roof might not be able to handle the weight of numerous potted plants. Earthen pots were not considered therefore. The exorbitant price of plastic pots would put much dent on my pocket while seedling bags would prove messy for our galvanized iron roof. In the final analysis, we tried out the feasibility of used plastic containers of mineral water as pots for our treasured gynura procumbens. 
Alas, with a vengeance like a fish put back in water, the plants thrived and flourished lavishly.  I presupposed when we came back after a 5 day vacation in Dingalan, the stems would be ready for another cuttings. But it was not so. The succulent leaves were dried out by aphid infestation. Guided by my teachers in the internet, I diligently sprayed the underside of each leaf with water everyday. Weary and disgusted I almost succumbed  to these pests if I were not just pinning for the benefit that my loved ones could get from these leaves. 
A lowly mosquito net stocked in the deep recesses of our locker became an effective vanguard that revived the lusciousness of the leaves and my fading enthusiasm. After just two months, my gynura procumbens were propagating well.
Gynura Procumbens like any other gift of nature has to be shared. In this context I have shared my personal account on the benefit it accorded my husband and I am now sharing basic tips on caring for it.

1. Cut the leaves for consumption from top to bottom, then get the stem for planting. If the stem is really long, you can get up to 3 cuttings per stem. Immerse the proximal portion of the stems in water for at least 15 minutes.


2. Plant the cuttings in seedling bags. I personally prefer the disposable plastic food containers because when the time comes to repot the seedling to a bigger container you can just invert the container and the whole mold of soil would come out, thus leaving the roots unharmed during the transplant.

3. Keep the seedlings out of direct sunlight; water them frequently. They thrive best under the rain.

4. The roots are usually established in two weeks and the seedlings are ready for re potting.
5. Once transferred to big containers, start introducing them to sun light.
6. Keep the pests out. If aphids abound in your area, keep the plants under a net. Even with the net on, aphids can still be carried by ants, so keep the ants out; also the snails and earthworms. Keeping these menace out can be a daunting task. I usually pour organic pesticide which I read in various internet sites. 

"To make garlic oil spray, mince or finely chop three to four cloves of garlic, and add them to two teaspoons of mineral oil. Let this mixture sit for 24 hours. Strain out the garlic pieces, and add the remaining liquid to one pint of water. Add one teaspoon of liquid dish soap. This mixture can be stored and diluted as needed. When you need to spray, use two tablespoons of the mixture added to one pint of water in a spray bottle. 
To use your garlic oil spray, first test by spraying an inconspicuous part of the plant to see if your mixture harms it at all. If there are no signs of yellowing or other leaf damage after a day or two, it is safe to use. If there is leaf damage, dilute the mixture with more water and try the test again." 

 In my case, every time it is needed I would just pour 1/2 cup of the concentrate in a pail of water, then sprinkle the said solution to the plants particularly on the undersides of the leaves and onto the pots and their bases. This solution will kill not only the aphids but also the ants and bugs: unfortunately, even the good helpful bugs.

7. Fertilize the plants every month.
8. The more you get the leaves, the more you do cuttings, the more your Gynura Procumbens would increase and flourish...this is why it is called "Tomorrow's plant" ...if you cut a leaf in the morning, at the end of the day a new branch will come out.
Gynura Procumbens
I hope this would be of help to those who are interested in the benefits that Gynura procumbens can offer. GOOD LUCK!

30 comments:

  1. Thank u so muck for ur very informative blog. I have a gynura plant that I receny bought and been wanting to propagate. Finally found ur blog. Thank u!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to be of help in disseminating the health benefits of gynura procumbens...happier that you found this blog helpful

      Delete
    2. I found by simply pinching or cutting off the top (several leaves, with as little as 1/2 inch stem), then cutting that stem on a slant and dipping in rooting hormone, then planting in potting soil with organic or otherwise fertilizer mixed in, the plant will start growing taller in a week. In a month it will be a foot tall, in two months 2 feet tall. The more you pinch the bushier it becomes. I keep the new plants in the shade. The larger plants like partial sun. They are resiliant. If full sun and dry soil wilt the plant, a good watering and a little shade will perk them back up. Ive had no trouble with aohids, and a spider or two or a small worm has tried to curl up in a leaf, which I simply pinch off and crush. The plant will grow a new leaf where you pinch one off.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Thank you for sharing your experience...proof indeed that this plant is easy to grow and propagate. Actually it is the mealybugs carried by ants that usually infest them. They can be easily crushed by our fingertips or killed when a cotton swab dipped in alcohol is applied to them. If infestation is heavy, we have to pull the plant out, dip it upside down (ensure the soil won't spill out)in a gallon of water where 1 teaspoon of pesticide is dissolved (I prefer Sevin to Malathion). This process can be repeated every 2 weeks until the pests disappear, then the plant can be put back with the others. With the rate the others are growing, a pot or 2 taken out won't matter much.

      Delete
    5. Hi I find that Gynura propagate well in a pot of river sand, kept moist. The roots show up within a week and they are ready for transplanting.

      I have not had any problem with mealy bugs as yet. But for my chilli leaves infested with mealy bugs, I spray my organic fertilizer. (BTW, I am a seller of organic fertilizer.) That has kept them clear, and very manageable.

      Glad I came across your blog. I am consuming the leaves, 5 on alternate days as a snack. I find that my tummy will churn somewhat and it helps to clear the waste. 8)

      Cheers!

      Delete
    6. Thank you for your blog! A question: do you advise to root cuttings in water or use rooting hormone powder and put them into soil instead?

      Delete
  2. Thank you for this. This could help. :)

    If i do cutting, is it required to have the leaves before planting it? How long will it take to grow?

    Hope you'll answer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just immerse the proximal end of the cutting in water for at least 15 minutes then you can plant if in soil. Water it daily, do not put it under direct sunlight. On the first and second day the leaves may show some wilting but on the 3rd day these leaves will be revived. Once the growth stabilizes you can gradually introduce it to sunlight. This plant is so easy to grow and propagate. In 2 to 3 months your plant can be tripled...mine is already a forest of gynura.Just avoid crowding of the leaves for good ventilation to prevent infestation.

      Thank you for reading my blog. I will be very happy if in any way this could be of help to you.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, you recognized.

    Well, thank dor this. I do really love this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi. i'm currently conducting a research about gynura procumbens. is there a way i can contact you through email? can i cite your blog as one of my sources? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mrmiyagi...yes by all means if i can be of help on the dissemination of the benefits of gynura. jtpolicarpio@gmail.com

      Delete
  5. Your blog is indeed helpful. I always find myself going back to it from time to time for a month now, since I thought of fixing our plant box myself and planting something edible. Thanks to internet sites, I have decided to plant gynura precumbens. I'm wondering, what soil are you using when you propagate? I just bought garden soil but I don't think the quality is good. I have soil in the house but it is more like mud when wet. I am mixing it with coconut dust and hopefully that is enough. May I also ask what fertilizer you use? Is it the same with the one we use for the lawn and green ornamental plants? Any tips for the soil? Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually mix the two kinds of garden soil frequently sold...the one used for seedlings which contains rice or coconut husks and the conventional soil which becomes clay when wet. You can also mix considerable amount of sand to prevent the mixture from clumping together...I use "Complete" fertilizer, the green one.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge on gardening. In your experience, what is the minimum length of the cutting required for propagation of the Gynura Procumbens?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I bought several gynura plants in SM Megamall Hypermarket and planning of propagating it as well. I just wonder what do you mean by mineral oil, any brand I could get for this particular one? And if you used liquid dish soap as ingredients for the spray, how many days will it be safe to pluck leaves after spraying?

    I have my first taste of its leaves today where I finely chopped the leaves and put it in my iced tea with honey(like the way I used C-lium) and its fine. Hoping more leaves so we can finally cooked it. Thanks for sharing this info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the "Apolo" brand of mineral oil. The amount of liquid dish soap is so dilute...this spray is organic and unlike the usual pesticide used, it is not really of any threat to our health. Good luck to your propagation of gynura...it is a very tame and generous plant.

      Delete
  8. where can i buy this plant that is nearest to our office? im here in ortigas beside richmonde hotel and near sm megamall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yung sa akin na gynura procumbens, ang lupang ginamit ko eh pinaghalong kaunting lupa at yung pinagbalatan ko ng gulay at kung ano anong dahon, pati nga pinatuyong damo hinalo ko, pero walang problema sa aking gynura, yung mother plant ko, malalaki na ang mga dahon, nakapaglipat na ako ng isang sanga at ok din sya sa lupang halu halo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first seedlings were given free by Bio Research in Sucat about 4 years ago. They gave my sister and me 10 pots each. They called it Ashitaba but research showed it was Gynura Procumbens. I waited a few weeks for the plants to grow before I starting taking them. Initially, I've had mostly success in propagating the plant as it is quite sturdy. I've even given a lot away as this was given to me free. Unfortunately, when I don't watch it, the bugs eat them all up. I moved about 2 years ago and the soil in my new home is not so good so the leaves don't grow as large. This past summer was so bad, many plants dried up and died aside from a very bad bug infestation. Now that the days are getting cooler, they are growing better but still not as large as they used to grow. Since the leaves are small, my husband I sometimes take more than 10 leaves each a day.
    A few months ago, I bought a plant in Mahogany thinking that perhaps I needed a new batch to propagate. But after harvesting the original leaves in the plant, the new leaves that grew were also quite small. Must really be my soil.

    ReplyDelete
  11. where can I buy Gynura Procumbens? Washington state.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try ebay... fast ship... low prices... high quality.... various amounts... some w free shipping

      Delete
  12. great, thank you for your kind-hearted-self, you not only propagate your gynura but also unselfishly propagate how can it be propagated by others. Thank you very much po! rey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful plant , I can share some leaves and cuttings call tel 1 714 675 0877

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful plant , I. Can
    Share some leaves and cuttings tel 1 714 675 0877

    ReplyDelete
  15. Where can I buy a full grown healthy plant? Please msg me 0.921.555.16.51

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gaynura is good substitute for kamote leaves, spinach or in any recipe that use leafy vegetables. It taste good too. To those who need cuttings for planting and if you are near Sta Rosa Laguna, txt me at 09198575729. You can have it for free.

    ReplyDelete
  17. a good friend gave me four stalks/stems last year.now I have 30 pots and been sharing it with other friends.

    ReplyDelete